Monday, April 14, 2014

Teaching Time

I spaced out teaching time to my little one over a span of 2 years.
In Grade 1 we learnt about The Hour and Half Past.
In Grade 2 , we learnt about Quarter Past, Quarter To , 5 Minute Intervals, A.M., P.M., 24 Hour Format.
clock with arabic numerals
Teaching on the run becomes very easy if there is a wall clock at home with all the 12 hours in Arabic Numeral.
As soon as the kids know to read numbers, they are able to tell at which number or between which 2 numbers is the smaller hand pointing to .


Another very interesting thing for kids is to have their own paper clocks whose hands they can move easily. I avoid using pins. Here's the clock I made- an idea I saw at a Swiss Watch Company's product for kids.
make your own clock
 
 
You can use the following cutout to make one of your own. Remember to use slightly stiff paper.
Right click to save the image below to your computer.
Print it.
Cut out only along the bold lines.
Lift the central wings in the circle and slip in the two hands one by one.
Decorate and number your clock the way you like.
 
make your own clock outline cutout


You may also download  clock outline .
I introduced each of the concepts - The Hour, Half Past, Quarter Past , Quarter To  through posters and my paper clock.
time posters for hour, half-past, quarter past and quarter to


 I made different types of worksheets for  showing  and telling  time.
For grade 2 -I also made worksheets for telling start and end times of different activities.
I introduced the concept of A.M. and P.M. Here's the worksheet for it.
 

Worksheet to teach A.M. and P.M.
At the end of Grade 2, I introduced the 24 Hour Time Format.

All my posters and worksheets are available in my product 
Time- The Hour, Half Past, Quarter Past & To, Time Format Worksheets

Time hour , half past, quarter past , 24 hour format worksheets for grade  1,2 & 3

You can download the preview of this product .
 

No comments:

Post a Comment